Saturday, May 2, 2009

Never Quite Lost the Calling

Having spent 10 years as a teacher, I've always had the desire to teach and have always felt inspired to challenge kids to learn through discovery...everyday I look for opportunities to encourage my own children to explore the questions they have about the world around them.

While putting together a simple kid's version reference guide for Florida's fossils, I've been so inspired to create more than just a reference, but to also include math lessons, reading, art, and history all into one unit.....Then, it hit me....my teaching career isn't over at all...I think I've moved into the next phase of it.

So, here I go on my first journey toward creating a Science/Math based integrated teaching unit. I have ideas for 4 units so far. So, if you're a homeschooling mom and have an idea toss it my way, I'll be talking to you about all this anyway!

This really isn't anything new to me, I actually created integrated units all the time when I taught, but the difference now is I can focus on the material instead of managing a class or grading papers. ;-)

And in all honesty, I never quite lost the calling.

Here's a sample of the unit I'm working on now:




1 comment:

Jill said...

I am so glad we are related...it is good to have folks like you around. Turd!