Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend...


...just wouldn't have been as great if my mom hadn't been with me!  I flew my mom down for a weekend of fossiling and camping...and because I missed her!

Mom flew in late on Friday and we enjoyed the hour ride home catching up on the hectic week's events.

Saturday morning we headed off to the Peace River with a group of about 13 to hunt for fossils. Most of the group was under 9 years old so that made the adventure even more exciting because the kids were so into finding the long buried bone treasure.

It was wonderful to be with my mom, my cousin, Jes, and my girls.  I'm so thankful to have a family that shares the same 'outdoorsy' spirit as I have. The day was amazingly beautiful! Blue skies, huge white clouds, and cool river water.

When we left the river, we checked in to the campground and set up camp.  The campground had a pool so we spent the remainder of the 97 degree afternoon soaking in the cool water until dinner time.  Usually we're all about cooking over a fire, but the heat made even thinking about a fire unbearable...so off to McDonalds and air conditioning we went!  When we got back and returned to our tent we realized that it was covered in red fire ants...the stinging kind of ants!!

My mom, who usually not easily daunted by much, offered me money to pack up and head home....hehe!!

While mom took the kids, who were cranky and exhausted from the long day, Jes and I tore down camp in record time!  30 minutes and everything was down and packed into the car.  By 8 pm we were well on our way home.  Both girls were sound asleep by the time we got home.  

It was good to be home and in our air conditioned environment...and comfy beds!

Sunday was low key and I just enjoyed the last of a wonderful weekend spent with my favorite girls!  In all, it was another awesome memory made.

    

No comments: