Mark Renz is nothing less than a celebrity among Florida fossil hunters. He's written numerous books on his amazing fossil finds right here in our backyard and it was one of his books that was the first I ever bought that I could actually understand as a novice fossil hunter. After reading Fossiling in Florida, I immediately became a huge fan. His writing style is witty yet introspective, but most importantly he writes in layman's terms, which I found completely engaging.I've hoped to meet him on one of my excursions to the river since he's a guide and spends much of time there during the dry season, but I've never met him. Until last night. I was invited to meet the board of a local fossil club and to introduce my book, what I didn't know was that Mark Renz was to be the special speaker there. When I found out just days before the meeting I was estatic!
So last night, I accomplished two dreams of mine: I introduced my first published book to the public and I met someone who I've admired for a long time.
Mark signed the old beat up book I've had for years and addressed it to Emerson, then signed two more new ones for me and Logan. Em slept with her book, which she's as familar with as I am, and Lo liked the pictures in hers, but announced there were too many words.
....oh, and can I just say how proud I was of my 5 year old who could identify every fossil she spotted last night! Three dreams come true....a daughter with a passion for discovery.
1 comment:
WOW! Congrats. Sounds like you all had a fabulous time.
Post a Comment