Monday, March 16, 2009

Emerson is 5!

Emerson turned 5 on Friday. She’s so proud to be a ‘big girl’ now. She can tie her shoes and can already read some 1st readers. Her favorite book to read is ‘In the Tall, Tall Grass’ and she likes us to read from her ‘God and Me’ book that her grandparents gave her for her birthday.

She’s a child who cares deeply for those around her who are smaller or sad or sick. She’s a natural nurturer. When asked what she wants to be when she grows up her reply is always, ‘a mommy.’ She loves to play Mary and Joseph traveling to Bethlehem with Logan. Sometimes she’s Mary, but mostly she takes turns playing Joseph or the ‘heavenly hosts’ who visit the shepherds. It’s very cute and we’re so proud that our girls already have a love for God and understanding of the miracle of Jesus’ birth.

This year, Emerson was very emphatic about her birthday cake and months ago began her request for a ‘God cake.’ We were stumped. Of all the themed cakes that any number of bakeries could whip up, my angel wanted a cake that was going to have to be imaginative in the least. For weeks, I struggled with how to represent what my child wanted. Then after asking friends for help, we decided that Emme’s God cake would best be represented in the form of a cross decorated with flowers. Em agreed to the design and so Jess (my cousin and partner in crime when it comes baking creative cakes) and I (and Emme and Logan) made the prettiest God cake ever…or so we think!

I don’t know why she’s so keen to everything God related right now, I mean, most 5 year olds ask for Strawberry Shortcake or Barbie themed cakes and when they play make believe it’s usually princess or big-girl role play. But what I do know is that I dedicated my children’s lives to their Heavenly Father not soon after they were born and that His hand is in their lives today and will be in every decision they will ever make. I like to believe this is only beginning for Emerson and the choices she makes about her life as she grows into adulthood and I am so proud.

My prayer: God bless my 5 year old child, keep her in His protection, and make her a woman of strength, compassion, courage, and wisdom.
 
 

1 comment:

Jill said...

You are so awesome. I love the cake...I love the fondont...howeverl it is spelled...I too love it when I hear and see the love for Jesus our girls have. Keep up the faithful work. Let's get these girls together.